The Karakoram is a great mountain system in Northeast Pakistan and Northern India, near the Chinese border. It extends 300 miles southeastwardly from the Pamir Knot, and includes many of the world's highest peaks, and many of the world's longest glaciers. Among the high peaks is K2 (8611 m), the second highest mountain in the world. Its glaciers include, among others, the 47-mile Siachen glacier, the 36-mile Baltoro glacier, and the 76-mile combination of Hispar and Biafo, which connect at a pass. The Baltoro glacier is especially significant, as ten of the world's thirty highest peaks cluster around it, including four 8,000 meter peaks (K2 and three peaks of the Gashberbrum massif) that rise very close together at the northeast head of the glacier.
The Karakoram closely parallels the Himalaya, but its peaks differ from those of the Himalaya in their sharp, angular forms. Their icy peaks are often surrounded by incredible clusters of towers and spires. The Karakoram also receives less monsoon activity than the Himalaya. In fact, many of the valleys deep in the range are very dry. The peaks, however, receive heavy winter precipitation, and, with or without monsoon rains, travel is made difficult by the run-off of melting snow and ice in July and August, which otherwise are the best months for mountaineering. The range is largely uninhabited, so approach to the mountains requires expedition-style planning.
Peaks of Karakoram
Check out any of the following peaks for additional information:
- Angel - 22500 ft./6858 m.
- Baintha Brakk - 23901 ft./7285 m.
- Batura - 25574 ft./7795 m.
- Batura II - 25466 ft./7762 m.
- Bei Tip - 25958 ft./7912 m.
- Broad Peak - 26400 ft./8047 m.
- Chogolisa - 25147 ft./7665 m.
- Distaghil Sar - 25869 ft./7885 m.
- Drifika - 21151 ft./6447 m.
- Gasherbrum - 26470 ft./8068 m.
- Gasherbrum II - 26360 ft./8035 m.
- Gasherbrum III - 26089 ft./7952 m.
- Gasherbrum IV - 26001 ft./7925 m.
- Great Trango Tower - 20623 ft./6286 m.
- Haramosh Kutwal Galli - 24291 ft./4800 m.
- Haramosh Peak - 24308 ft./7409 m.
- Hidden Peak (also known as Gasherbrum I) - 26471 ft./8068 m.
- K2 - 28253 ft./8612 m.
- Kanjut Sar - 25459 ft./7760 m.
- Karakoram Pass - 18176 ft./5540 m.
- Khiangyang Kish - 25761 ft./7852 m.
- Koz Sar - 21916 ft./6680 m.
- Kuk Sar Peak Passu Batura - 21981 ft./6700 m.
- Lady Finger - 6000 ft./1829 m.
- Laila Peak - 20341 ft./6200 m.
- Link Sar - 23100 ft./7041 m.
- Malika Parbat - 17356 ft./5290 m.
- Masherbrum - 25660 ft./7821 m.
- Mitre Peak - 19767 ft./6025 m.
- Muztagh Tower - 23860 ft./7273 m.
- Rakaposhi - 25550 ft./7788 m.
- Saltoro Kangri - 25400 ft./7742 m.
- Sasir Kangri - 25170 ft./7672 m.
- Sherpi Kangri - 24213 ft./7380 m.
- Sia Kangri - 24350 ft./7422 m.
- Singhi Kangri - 23645 ft./7207 m.
- Skyang Kangri - 24754 ft./7545 m.